Friday, June 22, 2007

Magnum's 60th Birthday

There is occasionally respite from the 14 hour work day I spend in the archive. Last night the photo collective Magnum celebrated its 60th birthday. Grandpa Halsman was poker buddies with the original crew, and we've been working together ever since. Now they are all my colleagues too. First stop was a party at the MoMA sculpture garden for staff past and present, and all the amazing photographers they work with. Elliott Erwitt, Koudelka, and Wayne Miller were there, among many others who I didn't have a chance to put a face to a name. Donna Ferrato and I became fast friends, dancing in the rain and talking about eyes. I also got to meet Alex Majoli, the young Italian photographer who is carrying the torch my grandfather lit called "Jumpology". Then it was off to Essex house on Central Park South. It was summer solstice and an amazing night for connecting with many many people. I ran into some friends from SF, Laurel Nakadate again, and met some people on the way out who knew my grandparents and also happened to notice the hologram necklace I was wearing as being produced by a friend's company. Anyone who knows me knows that I have had hologram technology on my mind for quite sometime, so it was pretty special to get some insider's info. OK, back to archiving.....







No comments:

Post a Comment